Wednesday, April 25, 2012

What's For Dinner Wednesday!

Every Wednesday evening we get together with our neighbor Dee, that lives over the hill and have dinner here on the farm. Sometimes I make the main course and she makes the sides and sometimes it's the other way around. This time it was my turn to make the main dish and I just had to share it with you because it was so yummy! At the request of Dee for something Italian, I made stuffed shells and the recipe is below!


Stuffed Shells

Ingredients:

1 package of jumbo pasta shells
1/2 pound ground hamburger
1 container of ricotta cheese (16 oz)
1 pound of shredded mozzarella (divided)
12 ounces of Parmesan cheese (divided)
2 eggs- beaten
1 teaspoon of salt (optional)
1 tablespoon of dried parsley
1 teaspoon of black pepper
2 teaspoons of garlic (or more if your a garlic person like I am!)
1 teaspoon of onion powder
1 jar of spaghetti sauce (we like mushroom)

Directions:

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.

1. Boil water and cook pasta approx. 10 minutes until they are al dente. Drain and rinse.
2. Brown the meat.
3. Mix together ricotta cheese, half the mozzarella, half the Parmesan, eggs, salt, parsley, pepper, garlic and onion. ***Please see note at the bottom*** Split mixture into two mixing bowls. Leave one bowl as is and in the other bowl mix in the ground burger.
4. Start filling up the shells and lay them into a 9x13 baking dish.
5. Spread remaining mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese over the prepared shells. Then pour the sauce over top.
6. Put in oven and bake on 350 degrees for 45 minutes.

***Note***
We like to have some of our shells be just the cheese mixture and some with the meat and cheese mixture. That is why I divide the mixture. If you want it to be all one flavor you can skip this step!

I promise next time to try to remember to get a picture so you can see what it looks like, I know with recipes it is much more appealing to see the food!!

This is my modified version of a recipe I found, the original recipe can be found here. And I have to say the original version submitted by Renee is excellent too, I just enjoy adding my own flair and tweaked it to fit my families taste!

No comments:

Post a Comment