Sunday, April 15, 2012

DIY Body Wash

Few weeks ago I made another of my DIY concoctions, body wash! I've been dying to tell you about it but wanted the chance to "test" it first. I found my recipe over at One Good Thing by Jillee, if you haven't already discovered her you must go check it out! I am addicted to her Pinterest board! AMAZING!


Here's what you'll need:
6 cups of water
3 bars of soap (I used 2 bars of Dove Sensitive and one of my favorite locally made goat milk soap)
Grater
And a pot to cook it all in!


Grate your soap (the purple and yellow flakes are from the goat milk soap, it's Love Spell scented and smells amazing!)


Next put it all together in a pot on the stove and start cooking. You're not going to want to go too far from the stove and make sure you stir it frequently or it will bubble over and make your freshly cleaned stove-top look like this!!


Once it's all melted down it's going to be pretty runny. Pour it all into a bowl and let it cool for 24 hours.


After it's all cooled down it will thicken up quite a bit and I poured it into an old body wash bottle of my daughters using a funnel.


And VIOLA, now I have my very own body wash! Stupid me, of course, threw away the receipt so I can't do a price breakdown for you but I know it's at least half the cost of buying body wash from the store!

finished product, all thickened up!

Results after 3+ weeks of use:
I'm still in love with this body wash, but there's been a few snafu's along the way. It seems to have thinned right back out. I don't know if it's simply a result of being in the hot steamy bathroom all the time or if it's because instead of used that one bar of goat milk soap in place of the 3rd Dove bar. It's not going to last me as long as I had initially anticipated, but I'm still using it and I plan to make it again after I tweak it. The other thing I thought of was maybe I shouldn't have used as much water because the goat milk soap is naturally a thinner consistency anyways. I promise to do another update when I do my second batch!

No comments:

Post a Comment