Friday, April 27, 2012

And the winner for rolemodel of the year is....

I was in that wonderful store that we all love to hate (Wal*Mart) the other day and I heard the most horrific thing come out of someone's mouth and it's been on my mind non-stop since then. I was walking down the toy isle and a little boy who was probably about 4 years old went jogging by me with a big smile on his face. He said hi to K and then kept on sprinting down the isle. Not too far behind him was a woman who I'm guessing was his grandma, but may have been his mom for all I know and she was NOT happy with him. She kept yelling at him "get back here", "get over here", and on and on. Said little boy was not listening of course because it was much much more fun to stare at the wall of toys laid out in front of him. So Grandma/Mom tried one more time "If you don't get over here I'm going to KILL YOU". I am  pretty sure my jaw hit the floor, I could not believe that she said that to the little boy.

How in the world could any parent, grandparent, or caregiver say that to a child?! I was stunned. I know how frustrating kids can be, I know that the can test your patience to the very end, but I just can't wrap my head around telling a child you would kill them for not listening! What's going to happen when that little boy goes to school next year and gets mad because something doesn't go his way and he tells a teacher or another student that he's going to "kill them"? What a horrible thing to teach a child to say!

Okay that's the end of my rant for today! Happy Friday Everyone!

2 comments: