Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Dishwasher Detergent = FAIL (sort of)!

After my great success in making my own laundry detergent (click here) and all the money we're saving, I decided I wanted to try and make detergent for the dishwasher. I've been having trouble with lots of spots on my dishes and even after using a store bought dishwasher cleaner I still felt like my dishes weren't getting as clean as they used to. Our dishwasher is just over a year old so I know that's not the problem. So I was hoping that this might be my solution.

After lots of mixing and good smelling rinse aid I was hopeful that it would work. Unfortunately after two tries I had lots of stuck on food and very spotty dishes. The recipe I used called for Washing Soda, Baking Soda, Borax, salt, and this stuff I had never heard of called Lemi Shine. It's supposed to help when you have really hard water, and smells just like lemonade.

Being a good blogger and taking pictures.... too bad it was such a flop!


The only good thing that came out of my little experiment is that I am in love with Lemi Shine! It's amazing with my hard water! My glasses and dishes are spotless! If you have hard water, this is a must! They also make a rinse aid and a dishwasher cleaner.

Another good thing is after some whining on Facebook about my dilemma some friends recommended using vinegar as a rinse aid instead of that super expensive Jet Dry. Let me just say, amazing! I don't think my dishes have ever felt to good. We always were getting what I think was leftover soap residue on our dishes (again I think it was a result of hard water) and now they come out perfect!

No comments:

Post a Comment