Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Grandpa Allen

The last two weeks or so I've been really missing my grandpa. He passed away almost three years ago, but he's been on my mind almost every day for the past few weeks. He was a very special person in my life. He and my grandmother lived next door to me for my entire life. They were always there whenever I needed them.

Grandpa was the kind of man who loved to tell stories. He could talk your ear off about this place, and the people who lived there, and the things that they did. He had a story for everything and everyone we ever came across. It amazes me to this day how many of the random stories that he told me have stuck with me. At the time I thought I was just listening to make him happy, but so much of it is up there in my head and it jumps out and surprises me when I'm not expecting it.

I still have a hard time thinking about him missing my wedding (he passed away 5 months before) and my heart aches wishing he could have met K. He would have adored her. I can picture her stealing his cowboy hat and sitting on his lap at the kitchen counter. He would have loved to hear her tell him that the horse says "neigh" and showing her pictures of all the horses he's owned in his life. They would have been buddies like he and I were, I just know it.

I would give anything to go for another car ride with him and have him tell me stories about all the things we pass, or go for a walk in the woods with him. I miss you Grandpa, and I love you every day!


Riding in one of his buggys with him

Up on one of his horses at 3 years old!


Hanging out with Grandma and Grandpa 1990

No comments:

Post a Comment