Friday, September 9, 2011

Flooding in my hometown

Tropical storm Lee has been dumping on Northeastern Pennsylvania for a few days, in fact today is the first day we've seen the sun all week. Lee pounded my hometown with close to 10 inches of rain in 2 days and the devastating pictures that are being sent to me on facebook are just heart-wrenching! The flood waters are actually higher in some areas than they were during hurricane Agnes back in 1972. There are videos on youtube uploaded by people who were standing on bridges in Mehoopany and Tunkhannock watching whole houses float down the river. I cannot even imagine what those poor families are going through. It's so hard to see all this and not be able to go home and help those in need, so many of the roads are washed out, unsafe and some are completely gone that I would need to take to get there. I just keep saying prayers for all of those in need and I hope you all will add in a few thoughts for these people when you say yours this week.

Here's some pictures from around the area taken by friends on facebook.

Looking down on the river bridge in Tunkhannock PA
Looking at downtown Tunkhannock
Anyone familiar with the area knows that Gays True Value floods quite often, but not usually like this
This is from today after much of the water went down, Mehoopany PA

No comments:

Post a Comment